Which First Aid certificates are valid for Yachtmaster qualification?
02 February 2021
In order to be granted an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or Yachtmaster Coastal certificate, you must meet the minimum criteria to take the external Yachtmaster examination. You must also hold a GMDSS Radio Operators Certificate and a First Aid Certificate. The RYA run a 1-day First Aid course for students which leads to certification.
However, during the current COVID-19 crisis the RYA have made some exceptions for students. They are set out below;
You may choose to take the RYA First Aid Course or use alternative first aid qualifications, providing the course meets the minimum requirements given below.
Course duration: 1 day with at least 6 hours of instructional time.
Any course that is not the RYA First Aid at Sea Course must cover the following;
- Understand the role of a first aider in regard to:
- The importance of preventing cross-infection
- The need for recording and/or reporting incidents and accident
- Assessing a scenario and circumstances to ensure they act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Can perform CPR to current protocols, and understand the differential for drowning.
- Understand the importance of the recovery position and the need to modify it for small spaces.
- Can administer first aid to those who are unconscious
- Can identify types of external bleeding and control bleeding
- Can use appropriate dressings, bandages and other first aid equipment available, including improvised dressings and bandages.
- Understand the term shock, recognise and treat it
- Can recognise and understands the treatment for hypothermia following immersion and/or exposure.
- Recognise the signs of a reduced level of response, with particular reference to serious head injuries.
- Can administer suitable first aid for:
- breathing difficulties
- chest pain
- diabetic emergency
- burns, including scalds, chemical and electrical
- minor injuries including small cuts, grazes, bruises and small splinters
- Can choose suitable first aid equipment
Other accredited courses considered acceptable include the MCA Proficiency in Medical First Aid and the MCA Proficiency in Medical Care. Accreditations vary between every 3 and every 5 years.
- What's the difference between RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and RYA Yachtmaster Coastal?
- The Minimum Requirements for the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Exam
- The Minimum Requirements for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Examination
- Why you should take your RYA Yachtmaster Exam in the Mediterranean
- Books for Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation